Cauliflower & Couscous Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Pilaf is usually made with rice plus nuts, fruit, vegetables or even meat. In this version we use couscous instead of rice, so it's nearly instant, and add a sweet accent of orange and currants.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets, (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower and salt; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, orange zest, juice and currants; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous and scallions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 239 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2008