Cauliflower & Couscous Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Pilaf is usually made with rice plus nuts, fruit, vegetables or even meat. In this version we use couscous instead of rice, so it's nearly instant, and add a sweet accent of orange and currants.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets, (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower and salt; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, orange zest, juice and currants; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous and scallions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 239 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)