Cauliflower & Couscous Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Pilaf is usually made with rice plus nuts, fruit, vegetables or even meat. In this version we use couscous instead of rice, so it's nearly instant, and add a sweet accent of orange and currants.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets, (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower and salt; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, orange zest, juice and currants; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous and scallions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 239 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- January/February 2008