Catfish & Potato Hash for Two
Hash isn’t just for corned beef. It’s also great made with catfish—or other flaky white fish. Any ham adds flavor to the hash, but we think a higher-quality smoked ham will give you the biggest flavor-bang for your buck. Serve with a poached egg on top and a green salad.
- 1 small russet potato
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced ham
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemon wedges
- Poke several holes in potato and microwave on High until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Cut the potato in half and set aside; coarsely chop when cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add catfish and cook, stirring often, until just cooked through and opaque, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and discard any liquid in the pan. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, bell pepper, scallions and ham and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Return the catfish to the pan along with the chopped potato, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring gently, until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 291 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient