Catfish & Potato Hash
Hash isn’t just for corned beef. It’s also great made with catfish—or other flaky white fish. Any ham adds flavor to the hash, but we think a higher-quality smoked ham will give you the biggest flavor-bang for your buck. Serve with a poached egg on top and a green salad.
- 2 small russet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound catfish fillets, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Poke several holes in potatoes and microwave on High until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Cut the potatoes in half and set aside; coarsely chop when cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add catfish and cook, stirring often, until just cooked through and opaque, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and discard any liquid in the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, bell pepper, scallions and ham and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Return the catfish to the pan along with the chopped potatoes, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring gently, until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 291 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 731 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)