Although the classic Cajun stew, étouffée, is usually made with crayfish, it’s also delicious with catfish. The cooked butter-and-flour mixture, also called a brown roux, gives the sauce a nutty flavor. We added a bit of reduced-fat sour cream and stewed tomatoes to make the sauce rich and flavorful without a lot of extra calories or fat. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring until the flour is brown and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and place in the saucepan on top of the vegetables. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the catfish is just cooked through and opaque, 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the catfish from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream into the vegetables. Serve the catfish over the stewed vegetables.
Per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 738 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood