Although the classic Cajun stew, étouffée, is usually made with crayfish, it’s also delicious with catfish. The cooked butter-and-flour mixture, also called a brown roux, gives the sauce a nutty flavor. We added a bit of reduced-fat sour cream and stewed tomatoes to make the sauce rich and flavorful without a lot of extra calories or fat. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring until the flour is brown and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and place in the saucepan on top of the vegetables. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the catfish is just cooked through and opaque, 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the catfish from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream into the vegetables. Serve the catfish over the stewed vegetables.
Per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 738 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Main Ingredient
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation