Although the classic Cajun stew, étouffée, is usually made with crayfish, it’s also delicious with catfish. The cooked butter-and-flour mixture, also called a brown roux, gives the sauce a nutty flavor. We added a bit of reduced-fat sour cream and stewed tomatoes to make the sauce rich and flavorful without a lot of extra calories or fat. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring until the flour is brown and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and place in the saucepan on top of the vegetables. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the catfish is just cooked through and opaque, 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the catfish from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream into the vegetables. Serve the catfish over the stewed vegetables.
Per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 738 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient