Although the classic Cajun stew, étouffée, is usually made with crayfish, it’s also delicious with catfish. The cooked butter-and-flour mixture, also called a brown roux, gives the sauce a nutty flavor. We added a bit of reduced-fat sour cream and stewed tomatoes to make the sauce rich and flavorful without a lot of extra calories or fat. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring until the flour is brown and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and place in the saucepan on top of the vegetables. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the catfish is just cooked through and opaque, 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the catfish from the pan with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream into the vegetables. Serve the catfish over the stewed vegetables.
Per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 738 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient