From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Here, we use healthier extra-virgin olive oil with a bit of butter added for its flavor instead of the tablespoons of butter usually used to make classic “amandine” sauce for pan-fried catfish fillets. The results are delicately flavored and have only a third of the calories, fat and sodium of a classic version.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add almonds and garlic and cook until both are just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine flour, salt and cayenne. Dip fish in the milk mixture, then in the flour mixture; shake off any excess flour. (Discard any leftover mixtures.)
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish and cook until lightly browned and opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Return the almond-garlic sauce to the stove over medium heat. Add lemon juice and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 327 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 114 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 533 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Vitamin E (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2007