Catalan Sauteed Polenta & Butter Beans
This dish is a satisfying vegetarian meal complete with spinach, beans and polenta, inspired by classic Spanish flavors. Note: Look for smoked paprika with other specialty spices; it's available in three varieties: sweet, bittersweet and hot. Sweet is the most versatile, but if you like a little bit of heat, choose the hot variety. You can find Spanish products in specialty-foods stores or online at tienda.com. Make it a Meal: Enjoy with a green salad tossed with sherry vinaigrette and a glass of Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic,minced
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked, plus more for garnish (see Note)
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add polenta and cook in a single layer, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garlic to the pan, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in beans, spinach and broth; cook, stirring, until the beans are heated through and the spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and vinegar. Serve vegetables over polenta. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Smoked paprika is available in three varieties: sweet, bittersweet and hot. Sweet is the most versatile, but choose hot if you like a bit of heat. Find it in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty-foods stores.
Per serving: 207 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 678 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (110% dv), Folate (23% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique