Catalan Sauté of Chicken with Sausage, Capers & Herbs
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Whole chicken legs, turkey sausage, tomatoes and fresh herbs are a delicious combination in this Catalan-inspired skillet supper.
- 1 1/2 pounds whole chicken legs, thigh and drumstick separated
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Remove skin from chicken and trim any excess fat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; let cool slightly, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, shallot, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes. Add wine, rosemary and thyme and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and sausage to the pan, turning to coat with sauce. Cover and simmer until the chicken and sausage are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir broth and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer the chicken and sausage to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Discard the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Stir the cornstarch mixture, capers and lemon zest into the pan; bring to a simmer and cook until the pan juices are thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Per serving: 208 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007