Catalan Sauté of Chicken with Sausage, Capers & Herbs
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Whole chicken legs, turkey sausage, tomatoes and fresh herbs are a delicious combination in this Catalan-inspired skillet supper.
- 1 1/2 pounds whole chicken legs, thigh and drumstick separated
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Remove skin from chicken and trim any excess fat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; let cool slightly, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, shallot, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes. Add wine, rosemary and thyme and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and sausage to the pan, turning to coat with sauce. Cover and simmer until the chicken and sausage are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir broth and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer the chicken and sausage to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Discard the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Stir the cornstarch mixture, capers and lemon zest into the pan; bring to a simmer and cook until the pan juices are thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Per serving: 208 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007