From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Angel food cake is layered with candied fruit and ricotta cheese in this traditional Sicilian Christmas cake.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit, (citron, lemon peel, orange peel, pineapple and/or cherries)
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate,chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 10-ounce angel food cake
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- To prepare cassata: Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Whisk together ricotta and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in candied fruit, chocolate and lemon zest.
- Slice angel food cake with a serrated knife into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Use the largest slice to line the bottom of the loaf pan, filling in with small pieces if necessary. Brush with 1/3 of the rum. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta filling. Arrange a second layer of cake slices on top, brush with 1/2 of the remaining rum and spread the remaining filling over top. Arrange the remaining slices over top and brush with remaining rum. Cover with plastic wrap and weight down with another loaf pan and a heavy weight or can. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make chocolate sauce: Combine cocoa, cornstarch and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in corn syrup and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla and oil. Let cool and serve at room temperature or chilled.
- To serve cassata: Invert the loaf pan onto a serving dish. Remove plastic wrap. Slice and serve with chocolate sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 313 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 331 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992