From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Angel food cake is layered with candied fruit and ricotta cheese in this traditional Sicilian Christmas cake.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit, (citron, lemon peel, orange peel, pineapple and/or cherries)
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate,chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 10-ounce angel food cake
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- To prepare cassata: Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Whisk together ricotta and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in candied fruit, chocolate and lemon zest.
- Slice angel food cake with a serrated knife into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Use the largest slice to line the bottom of the loaf pan, filling in with small pieces if necessary. Brush with 1/3 of the rum. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta filling. Arrange a second layer of cake slices on top, brush with 1/2 of the remaining rum and spread the remaining filling over top. Arrange the remaining slices over top and brush with remaining rum. Cover with plastic wrap and weight down with another loaf pan and a heavy weight or can. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make chocolate sauce: Combine cocoa, cornstarch and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in corn syrup and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla and oil. Let cool and serve at room temperature or chilled.
- To serve cassata: Invert the loaf pan onto a serving dish. Remove plastic wrap. Slice and serve with chocolate sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 313 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 331 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992