From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Angel food cake is layered with candied fruit and ricotta cheese in this traditional Sicilian Christmas cake.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit, (citron, lemon peel, orange peel, pineapple and/or cherries)
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate,chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 10-ounce angel food cake
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- To prepare cassata: Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Whisk together ricotta and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in candied fruit, chocolate and lemon zest.
- Slice angel food cake with a serrated knife into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Use the largest slice to line the bottom of the loaf pan, filling in with small pieces if necessary. Brush with 1/3 of the rum. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta filling. Arrange a second layer of cake slices on top, brush with 1/2 of the remaining rum and spread the remaining filling over top. Arrange the remaining slices over top and brush with remaining rum. Cover with plastic wrap and weight down with another loaf pan and a heavy weight or can. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make chocolate sauce: Combine cocoa, cornstarch and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in corn syrup and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla and oil. Let cool and serve at room temperature or chilled.
- To serve cassata: Invert the loaf pan onto a serving dish. Remove plastic wrap. Slice and serve with chocolate sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 313 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 331 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1992