Cartwheel Pasta with Peppers & Onions
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
This simple pasta recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy sweet bell peppers. The pasta sauce—red peppers stewed with caramelized onions and tomatoes—is tossed with wagon-wheel pasta for an easy and filling pasta dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped canned no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 12 ounces ruote di carro (wagon wheels) or fusilli pasta
- Combine onion, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is a rich golden color, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel bell peppers with a vegetable peeler. Cut them in half, remove the cores and thinly slice into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- When the onion is golden, increase heat to medium-high and add the peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the tomatoes are no longer watery and have separated from the oil, 15 to 20 minutes. Add parsley, stir for 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt, then add pasta and stir well. Cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 480 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 507 mg sodium; 477 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (257% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014