Cartwheel Pasta with Peppers & Onions
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
This simple pasta recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy sweet bell peppers. The pasta sauce—red peppers stewed with caramelized onions and tomatoes—is tossed with wagon-wheel pasta for an easy and filling pasta dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped canned no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 12 ounces ruote di carro (wagon wheels) or fusilli pasta
- Combine onion, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is a rich golden color, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel bell peppers with a vegetable peeler. Cut them in half, remove the cores and thinly slice into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- When the onion is golden, increase heat to medium-high and add the peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the tomatoes are no longer watery and have separated from the oil, 15 to 20 minutes. Add parsley, stir for 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt, then add pasta and stir well. Cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 480 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 507 mg sodium; 477 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (257% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014