This recipe is delicious to the max if you like something new and appreciate bold flavors. The carrot puree is sweet and smooth, and the tapenade is fresh and offers the puree a great, crunchy texture. I love the olives the best. Each time I taste one, it seems like a surprise in my mouth. The garlic gives it some unexpected brightness, and I used salted hazelnuts and I did toast them. It also takes up a lot of carrots if you're growing them in your garden and have an abundance. Or, of course, a bag of carrots at the store is cheap!
Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This carrot-potato puree has an amazing silky-smooth texture. We give it a sophisticated touch with a quick tapenade made with green olives, orange zest, hazelnuts and garlic. For a simpler dish, just make the puree and skip the topping.
5 Reviews for Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
Who would have thought to combine olives, hazelnuts and carrots? This is delicious. I substituted the red potatoes with sweet potatoes and the hazelnuts with walnuts. Toasting the nuts beforehand really brings out the flavor. I used a hand blender to puree the carrots and sweet potato mixture, the result was a heavenly smooth and whipped texture. This was a perfect side for my roasted pork loin.
The tapenade was great - an unusual but tasty combination! Another plus is that it is pretty quick to make.
I found the potato flavor overpowered the carrot, perhaps because I used sweet, delicately-flavored fresh carrots from the farmer's market. Also the tapenade flavors seemed too bold for the puree. Next time I will try it with just a tiny bit of potato and no tapenade.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)