Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This carrot-potato puree has an amazing silky-smooth texture. We give it a sophisticated touch with a quick tapenade made with green olives, orange zest, hazelnuts and garlic. For a simpler dish, just make the puree and skip the topping.
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam carrots and potatoes until very soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hazelnuts, olives, orange zest, garlic and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl.
- Transfer the carrots and potatoes to a food processor; add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Process until smooth. Serve each portion with a spoonful of the hazelnut tapenade.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts or seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 837 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (337% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009