Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This carrot-potato puree has an amazing silky-smooth texture. We give it a sophisticated touch with a quick tapenade made with green olives, orange zest, hazelnuts and garlic. For a simpler dish, just make the puree and skip the topping.
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam carrots and potatoes until very soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hazelnuts, olives, orange zest, garlic and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl.
- Transfer the carrots and potatoes to a food processor; add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Process until smooth. Serve each portion with a spoonful of the hazelnut tapenade.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts or seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 837 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (337% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009