Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This carrot-potato puree has an amazing silky-smooth texture. We give it a sophisticated touch with a quick tapenade made with green olives, orange zest, hazelnuts and garlic. For a simpler dish, just make the puree and skip the topping.
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam carrots and potatoes until very soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hazelnuts, olives, orange zest, garlic and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl.
- Transfer the carrots and potatoes to a food processor; add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Process until smooth. Serve each portion with a spoonful of the hazelnut tapenade.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts or seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 837 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (337% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009