From EatingWell: March/April 1995
These chewy oatmeal cookies are full of shredded carrots and raisins.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup, or honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup prune pie filling, (lekvar) (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot, (1 large carrot)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Spread oats on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, combine raisins with hot water in a small bowl; cover and set aside to plump.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk together whole egg, egg white, brown sugar, corn syrup (or honey), oil, prune pie filling and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in carrot, the toasted oats and the plumped raisins with any soaking liquid.
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the tops spring back when touched lightly, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Prune pie filling (lekvar) is a convenient replacement for much of the fat in baked goods. It can be found with the pie fillings in the baking section of most supermarkets.
Per cookie: 137 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 152 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995