Pureed prunes stand in for some of the fat in these carrot cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 8-ounce caj crushed pineapple
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme, such as Fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans, (optional)
- To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Combine prunes with hot water in a food processor and process until smooth; set aside. Drain pineapple in a strainer set over a small bowl, pressing firmly to extract most of the juice. Set the pineapple aside and reserve the juice for another use.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk egg, egg white, sugar, oil and the reserved prune puree in a mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until blended. Stir in carrots and the reserved pineapple.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed in the center, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool before frosting.
- To make cream-cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese, marshmallow creme and lemon juice in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread each cupcake with frosting and sprinkle with pecans (if using).
Per cupcake: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 145 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation