Carrot Salad with Honey-Lemon Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Here we combine carrots and celery root (also known as celeriac) in a quick shredded slaw. Try it as a change from an ordinary mixed green salad.
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup peeled and shredded celery root (see Note)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add carrots, celery root, raisins and walnuts; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Look for celery root (or celeriac) in the refrigerated produce section near other root vegetables. To peel it, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to remove all the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 190 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2009