Carrot Salad with Honey-Lemon Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Here we combine carrots and celery root (also known as celeriac) in a quick shredded slaw. Try it as a change from an ordinary mixed green salad.
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup peeled and shredded celery root (see Note)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add carrots, celery root, raisins and walnuts; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Look for celery root (or celeriac) in the refrigerated produce section near other root vegetables. To peel it, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to remove all the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 190 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2009