Carrot & Banana Muffins
Packed with flavorful and wholesome ingredients, these carrot-banana muffins make a good snack or breakfast.
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1 cup mashed bananas, (2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (4 medium carrots)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 18 standard-size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water; let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oat bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar (or Splenda) and whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 295 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique