Carrot & Banana Muffins
Packed with flavorful and wholesome ingredients, these carrot-banana muffins make a good snack or breakfast.
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1 cup mashed bananas, (2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (4 medium carrots)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 18 standard-size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water; let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oat bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar (or Splenda) and whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 295 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation