Carrot & Banana Muffins
Packed with flavorful and wholesome ingredients, these carrot-banana muffins make a good snack or breakfast.
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1 cup mashed bananas, (2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (4 medium carrots)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 18 standard-size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water; let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oat bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar (or Splenda) and whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 198 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 295 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (42% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique