Carne Asada Tacos
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
These flank-steak soft tacos are so tasty and easy, they should be in everyone’s repertoire. Plus they’re made with fresh corn tortillas (not fried) and topped with a quick homemade salsa made with avocado, tomato, onion and a bright squeeze of lime.
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 2-4 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
- Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and garlic powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the steak (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Prepare the salsa (Step 2) up to 2 hours ahead.
- Tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 350 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 6 g fiber; 437 mg sodium; 773 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012