Carne Asada Tacos
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
These flank-steak soft tacos are so tasty and easy, they should be in everyone’s repertoire. Plus they’re made with fresh corn tortillas (not fried) and topped with a quick homemade salsa made with avocado, tomato, onion and a bright squeeze of lime.
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 2-4 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
- Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and garlic powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the steak (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Prepare the salsa (Step 2) up to 2 hours ahead.
- Tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 350 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 6 g fiber; 437 mg sodium; 773 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012