Caribbean Rice & Beans
Many variations of this dish use oregano as the main herb, but we like the flavor of cilantro a bit better with the earthy taste of the black beans.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large pimiento or roasted red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice, preferably cooked in chicken broth (1 cup raw rice)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add pimientos or red peppers, green peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot sauce to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve accompanied by additional hot sauce.
Per serving: 238 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain