Caribbean Rice & Beans
Many variations of this dish use oregano as the main herb, but we like the flavor of cilantro a bit better with the earthy taste of the black beans.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large pimiento or roasted red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice, preferably cooked in chicken broth (1 cup raw rice)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add pimientos or red peppers, green peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot sauce to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve accompanied by additional hot sauce.
Per serving: 238 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation