Caribbean Rice & Beans
Many variations of this dish use oregano as the main herb, but we like the flavor of cilantro a bit better with the earthy taste of the black beans.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large pimiento or roasted red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice, preferably cooked in chicken broth (1 cup raw rice)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add pimientos or red peppers, green peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot sauce to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve accompanied by additional hot sauce.
Per serving: 238 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique