Caribbean Rice & Beans
Many variations of this dish use oregano as the main herb, but we like the flavor of cilantro a bit better with the earthy taste of the black beans.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large pimiento or roasted red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice, preferably cooked in chicken broth (1 cup raw rice)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add pimientos or red peppers, green peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot sauce to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve accompanied by additional hot sauce.
Per serving: 238 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique