Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Caraway & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Thinly sliced Brussels sprouts cook quickly and soak up whatever flavors you add to them—in this case, lemon and caraway.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and caraway seeds and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, water, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
Per serving: 79 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 318 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (133% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2010