Caramelized Pineapple & Oranges in Honeyed Port
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Winter fruits, such as pineapple and oranges, take on a special intensity when sugared and broiled and then served in heady Port.
- 1 medium pineapple
- 4 large oranges, such as Valencia or blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Port
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved lengthwise
- 8 large fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Peel pineapple, removing eyes. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Remove center core from slices with a 1-inch cookie cutter or paring knife.
- Remove all peel and pith from 3 of the oranges with a paring knife. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Juice the remaining orange, discarding any seeds. Set aside.
- Lay pineapple slices on one end of prepared baking sheet and arrange orange slices on the other end. Sprinkle with sugar. Broil, 4 to 6 inches from the heat, until the oranges are caramelized, about 5 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Removethe oranges with a spatula and set aside. Rotate the baking sheet and continue broiling until the pineapple is caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes more, removing any slices that are ready sooner.
- Meanwhile, whisk Port, honey, lime juice and reserved orange juice in a small bowl.
- To serve, place 2 pineapple slices in each of 4 shallow bowls. Arrange the orange slices over the pineapple. Top with grapes and pour honeyed Port over all. Sprinkle with mint. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 256 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 552 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Fiber (24% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997