Caramelized Pineapple & Oranges in Honeyed Port
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Winter fruits, such as pineapple and oranges, take on a special intensity when sugared and broiled and then served in heady Port.
- 1 medium pineapple
- 4 large oranges, such as Valencia or blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Port
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved lengthwise
- 8 large fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Peel pineapple, removing eyes. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Remove center core from slices with a 1-inch cookie cutter or paring knife.
- Remove all peel and pith from 3 of the oranges with a paring knife. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Juice the remaining orange, discarding any seeds. Set aside.
- Lay pineapple slices on one end of prepared baking sheet and arrange orange slices on the other end. Sprinkle with sugar. Broil, 4 to 6 inches from the heat, until the oranges are caramelized, about 5 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Removethe oranges with a spatula and set aside. Rotate the baking sheet and continue broiling until the pineapple is caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes more, removing any slices that are ready sooner.
- Meanwhile, whisk Port, honey, lime juice and reserved orange juice in a small bowl.
- To serve, place 2 pineapple slices in each of 4 shallow bowls. Arrange the orange slices over the pineapple. Top with grapes and pour honeyed Port over all. Sprinkle with mint. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 256 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 552 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Fiber (24% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997