Caramelized Pineapple & Oranges in Honeyed Port
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Winter fruits, such as pineapple and oranges, take on a special intensity when sugared and broiled and then served in heady Port.
- 1 medium pineapple
- 4 large oranges, such as Valencia or blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Port
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved lengthwise
- 8 large fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Peel pineapple, removing eyes. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Remove center core from slices with a 1-inch cookie cutter or paring knife.
- Remove all peel and pith from 3 of the oranges with a paring knife. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Juice the remaining orange, discarding any seeds. Set aside.
- Lay pineapple slices on one end of prepared baking sheet and arrange orange slices on the other end. Sprinkle with sugar. Broil, 4 to 6 inches from the heat, until the oranges are caramelized, about 5 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Removethe oranges with a spatula and set aside. Rotate the baking sheet and continue broiling until the pineapple is caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes more, removing any slices that are ready sooner.
- Meanwhile, whisk Port, honey, lime juice and reserved orange juice in a small bowl.
- To serve, place 2 pineapple slices in each of 4 shallow bowls. Arrange the orange slices over the pineapple. Top with grapes and pour honeyed Port over all. Sprinkle with mint. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 256 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 552 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Fiber (24% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997