Caramelized Onion & Shrimp Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Caramelized onion and golden raisins add sweet balance to shrimp in this easy bruschetta. It can be assembled in just a few minutes if you make the onion spread ahead of time. For a vegetarian option, serve topped with crumbled feta.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 thin slices baguette, toasted
- 24 peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water; set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and beginning to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes more.
- Drain and chop the raisins; add to the onions along with capers, dill, pepper and salt. Cook uncovered, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon onion spread and 1 shrimp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring the spread to room temperature before assembling.
Per bruschetta: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 100 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007