Caramelized Onion & Shrimp Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Caramelized onion and golden raisins add sweet balance to shrimp in this easy bruschetta. It can be assembled in just a few minutes if you make the onion spread ahead of time. For a vegetarian option, serve topped with crumbled feta.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 thin slices baguette, toasted
- 24 peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water; set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and beginning to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes more.
- Drain and chop the raisins; add to the onions along with capers, dill, pepper and salt. Cook uncovered, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon onion spread and 1 shrimp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring the spread to room temperature before assembling.
Per bruschetta: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 100 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007