Caramelized Onion & Shrimp Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Caramelized onion and golden raisins add sweet balance to shrimp in this easy bruschetta. It can be assembled in just a few minutes if you make the onion spread ahead of time. For a vegetarian option, serve topped with crumbled feta.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 thin slices baguette, toasted
- 24 peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water; set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and beginning to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes more.
- Drain and chop the raisins; add to the onions along with capers, dill, pepper and salt. Cook uncovered, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon onion spread and 1 shrimp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring the spread to room temperature before assembling.
Per bruschetta: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 100 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- November/December 2007