Caramelized Onion & Olive Pizza
Sweet onions get even sweeter when they are sautéed until golden and almost meltingly soft. Tangy goat cheese and good imported black olives provide the perfect flavor balance.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 2 ounces Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled creamy goat cheese, (2 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat oven to 500°F or highest setting. Coat a 12 1/2-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add water, garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared pan. Turn edges under to make a slight rim. Spread the onion mixture over the dough. Scatter goat cheese and olives over the onions.
- Place the pizza pan on the heated pizza stone (or baking sheet) and bake the pizza until the edges are golden and the topping is bubbling, 10 to 20 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.
Per slice: 339 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Fiber (26% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less