Caramelized Onion & Green Olive Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A flavorful combination of caramelized onions, green olives and feta makes an elegant topping for single-serving pizzas. Accompany these with a salad of romaine, thinly sliced red onions and juicy orange segments, dressed with red-wine vinegar and olive oil.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 green olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add olives and remove from the heat.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Divide the onion mixture between the pitas and spread to the edges; sprinkle with feta. Bake until the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 433 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 797 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two