Caramelized Onion & Green Olive Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A flavorful combination of caramelized onions, green olives and feta makes an elegant topping for single-serving pizzas. Accompany these with a salad of romaine, thinly sliced red onions and juicy orange segments, dressed with red-wine vinegar and olive oil.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 green olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add olives and remove from the heat.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Divide the onion mixture between the pitas and spread to the edges; sprinkle with feta. Bake until the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 433 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 797 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two