Caramelized Onion & Green Olive Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A flavorful combination of caramelized onions, green olives and feta makes an elegant topping for single-serving pizzas. Accompany these with a salad of romaine, thinly sliced red onions and juicy orange segments, dressed with red-wine vinegar and olive oil.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 green olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add olives and remove from the heat.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Divide the onion mixture between the pitas and spread to the edges; sprinkle with feta. Bake until the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 433 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 797 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two