Caramelized Onion & Green Olive Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A flavorful combination of caramelized onions, green olives and feta makes an elegant topping for single-serving pizzas. Accompany these with a salad of romaine, thinly sliced red onions and juicy orange segments, dressed with red-wine vinegar and olive oil.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 green olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add olives and remove from the heat.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Divide the onion mixture between the pitas and spread to the edges; sprinkle with feta. Bake until the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 433 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 797 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two