Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Sautéed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and rosemary. Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough. Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned. Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
Per serving: 172 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)