Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Sautéed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and rosemary. Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough. Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned. Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
Per serving: 172 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- September/October 1995