Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Sautéed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and rosemary. Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough. Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned. Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
Per serving: 172 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 1995