Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Sautéed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and rosemary. Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough. Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned. Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
Per serving: 172 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 1995