Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Sautéed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1/2 ounce)
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and rosemary. Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough. Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned. Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
Per serving: 172 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- September/October 1995