From EatingWell: Winter 2004
The bananas have to get in and out of the pan in 1 1/2 minutes, no longer, so they stay firm in the center. If you are cooking for 4, you can easily double the recipe; it is important not to crowd the skillet, so get everything ready to go and make it in 2 batches.
- 2 medium-small firm bananas, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum, or orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and lay the banana slices on top, cut side up. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds, then add rum (or orange juice) and cinnamon. Cook for 10 seconds, then turn bananas carefully and cook for 45 to 60 seconds more, basting with the pan sauce. Divide the bananas between 2 dessert plates, drizzling the sauce on top. Serve immediately, with a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt).
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 500 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Winter 2004