From EatingWell: Winter 2004
The bananas have to get in and out of the pan in 1 1/2 minutes, no longer, so they stay firm in the center. If you are cooking for 4, you can easily double the recipe; it is important not to crowd the skillet, so get everything ready to go and make it in 2 batches.
- 2 medium-small firm bananas, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum, or orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and lay the banana slices on top, cut side up. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds, then add rum (or orange juice) and cinnamon. Cook for 10 seconds, then turn bananas carefully and cook for 45 to 60 seconds more, basting with the pan sauce. Divide the bananas between 2 dessert plates, drizzling the sauce on top. Serve immediately, with a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt).
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 500 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Winter 2004