From EatingWell: Winter 2004
The bananas have to get in and out of the pan in 1 1/2 minutes, no longer, so they stay firm in the center. If you are cooking for 4, you can easily double the recipe; it is important not to crowd the skillet, so get everything ready to go and make it in 2 batches.
- 2 medium-small firm bananas, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum, or orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and lay the banana slices on top, cut side up. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds, then add rum (or orange juice) and cinnamon. Cook for 10 seconds, then turn bananas carefully and cook for 45 to 60 seconds more, basting with the pan sauce. Divide the bananas between 2 dessert plates, drizzling the sauce on top. Serve immediately, with a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt).
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 500 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Winter 2004