Caramelized Apple Topping
Simmered in caramel syrup, the apples soften and take on an amber translucence; spoon some over Cinnamon Ice Cream.
- 4 cooking apples, such as Cortland, Golden Delicious or Rome Beauty, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Calvados, optional
- Toss together apples and lemon juice in a bowl; set aside.
- Stir together sugar and water in a heavy skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook, not stirring but swirling the pan, until the sugar turns a deep amber, about 5 minutes (if the sugar crystallizes, it will take longer, but will eventually melt and caramelize).
- Remove the pan from the heat and swirl in butter. Transfer the apples to the pan, cover and return to low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel has dissolved and the apples are translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in Calvados, if using. Serve warm.
Per serving: 218 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less