Caramelized Apple Topping
Simmered in caramel syrup, the apples soften and take on an amber translucence; spoon some over Cinnamon Ice Cream.
- 4 cooking apples, such as Cortland, Golden Delicious or Rome Beauty, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Calvados, optional
- Toss together apples and lemon juice in a bowl; set aside.
- Stir together sugar and water in a heavy skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook, not stirring but swirling the pan, until the sugar turns a deep amber, about 5 minutes (if the sugar crystallizes, it will take longer, but will eventually melt and caramelize).
- Remove the pan from the heat and swirl in butter. Transfer the apples to the pan, cover and return to low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel has dissolved and the apples are translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in Calvados, if using. Serve warm.
Per serving: 218 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less