Caramelized Apple Topping
Simmered in caramel syrup, the apples soften and take on an amber translucence; spoon some over Cinnamon Ice Cream.
- 4 cooking apples, such as Cortland, Golden Delicious or Rome Beauty, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Calvados, optional
- Toss together apples and lemon juice in a bowl; set aside.
- Stir together sugar and water in a heavy skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook, not stirring but swirling the pan, until the sugar turns a deep amber, about 5 minutes (if the sugar crystallizes, it will take longer, but will eventually melt and caramelize).
- Remove the pan from the heat and swirl in butter. Transfer the apples to the pan, cover and return to low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel has dissolved and the apples are translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in Calvados, if using. Serve warm.
Per serving: 218 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less