Caramelized Apple Parfaits
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Caramelized apples layered with nonfat vanilla yogurt is a simple and delicious quick dessert. Draining the yogurt for half an hour gives it enough body so it can be layered in a parfait glass with the apples.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome, Golden Delicious or Cortland, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts, (optional)
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, about 5 minutes. (Do not let the syrup burn.) Remove the pan from the heat, add butter and swirl the pan until the butter has melted.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and translucent and the juice has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon alternating layers of the caramelized apples and drained yogurt into 4 parfait or wineglasses. Sprinkle walnuts over top, if desired.
Per serving: 368 calories; 2 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 84 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)