Caramelized Apple Parfaits
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Caramelized apples layered with nonfat vanilla yogurt is a simple and delicious quick dessert. Draining the yogurt for half an hour gives it enough body so it can be layered in a parfait glass with the apples.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome, Golden Delicious or Cortland, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts, (optional)
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, about 5 minutes. (Do not let the syrup burn.) Remove the pan from the heat, add butter and swirl the pan until the butter has melted.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and translucent and the juice has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon alternating layers of the caramelized apples and drained yogurt into 4 parfait or wineglasses. Sprinkle walnuts over top, if desired.
Per serving: 368 calories; 2 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 84 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- September/October 1993