Caramelized Apple Parfaits
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Caramelized apples layered with nonfat vanilla yogurt is a simple and delicious quick dessert. Draining the yogurt for half an hour gives it enough body so it can be layered in a parfait glass with the apples.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome, Golden Delicious or Cortland, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts, (optional)
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, about 5 minutes. (Do not let the syrup burn.) Remove the pan from the heat, add butter and swirl the pan until the butter has melted.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and translucent and the juice has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon alternating layers of the caramelized apples and drained yogurt into 4 parfait or wineglasses. Sprinkle walnuts over top, if desired.
Per serving: 368 calories; 2 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 84 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1993