Caramelized Apple Parfaits
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Caramelized apples layered with nonfat vanilla yogurt is a simple and delicious quick dessert. Draining the yogurt for half an hour gives it enough body so it can be layered in a parfait glass with the apples.
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome, Golden Delicious or Cortland, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts, (optional)
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, about 5 minutes. (Do not let the syrup burn.) Remove the pan from the heat, add butter and swirl the pan until the butter has melted.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and translucent and the juice has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon alternating layers of the caramelized apples and drained yogurt into 4 parfait or wineglasses. Sprinkle walnuts over top, if desired.
Per serving: 368 calories; 2 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 84 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 86 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- September/October 1993