From EatingWell: September/October 1991
This quick caramel sauce is made lighter with evaporated fat-free milk and uses molasses to give it rich flavor.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in a small, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns amber, about 15 minutes. (Take care not to burn it.) Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in butter. Gradually stir in milk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until the caramel has dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in molasses and vanilla. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Warm slightly before serving.
Per tablespoon: 44 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1991