From EatingWell: September/October 1991
This quick caramel sauce is made lighter with evaporated fat-free milk and uses molasses to give it rich flavor.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in a small, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns amber, about 15 minutes. (Take care not to burn it.) Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in butter. Gradually stir in milk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until the caramel has dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in molasses and vanilla. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Warm slightly before serving.
Per tablespoon: 44 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1991