From EatingWell: July/August 1997
There's nothing like homemade caramel sauce. Try it drizzled on broiled pineapple slices.
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup double-strength brewed coffee, or 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If using nuts, toast them in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once the mixture starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in coffee. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter.) Let stand for 2 minutes. Return to low heat and whisk until caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Swirl butter into caramel mixture. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir in vanilla and toasted nuts, if using. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 119 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997