From EatingWell: July/August 1997
There's nothing like homemade caramel sauce. Try it drizzled on broiled pineapple slices.
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup double-strength brewed coffee, or 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If using nuts, toast them in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once the mixture starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in coffee. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter.) Let stand for 2 minutes. Return to low heat and whisk until caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Swirl butter into caramel mixture. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir in vanilla and toasted nuts, if using. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 119 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- July/August 1997