From EatingWell: July/August 1997
There's nothing like homemade caramel sauce. Try it drizzled on broiled pineapple slices.
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup double-strength brewed coffee, or 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If using nuts, toast them in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once the mixture starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in coffee. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter.) Let stand for 2 minutes. Return to low heat and whisk until caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Swirl butter into caramel mixture. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir in vanilla and toasted nuts, if using. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 119 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- July/August 1997