From EatingWell: July/August 1997
There's nothing like homemade caramel sauce. Try it drizzled on broiled pineapple slices.
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup double-strength brewed coffee, or 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If using nuts, toast them in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once the mixture starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in coffee. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter.) Let stand for 2 minutes. Return to low heat and whisk until caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Swirl butter into caramel mixture. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir in vanilla and toasted nuts, if using. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 119 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997