Caramel Cream Cheese Custard (Flan de Queso)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Every panaderia (bakery) in Puerto Rico has many flavors of flan, from vanilla to guava. Reduced-fat cream cheese gives this version a rich, comforting texture.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel), softened
- 8 large eggs
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat or low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat or low-fat evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, gently swirling the pan (do not stir), until the mixture turns golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Immediately, pour the caramel carefully into a 9-inch round metal cake pan. If it stiffens before it completely covers the bottom of the pan, warm the pan in the oven, then swirl to cover the bottom.
- Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer at medium-high speed until soft. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla; mix until combined. Carefully pour into the prepared pan. (You may hear some cracking; the pan will be very full.)
- Place the cake pan in a larger pan and pour enough hot water around it to come 1 inch up the sides. Bake until golden and set at the edges but still wobbly at the center, about 1 hour. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Transfer the cake pan to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert the flan onto a plate.
Per serving: 247 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 160 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007